Cleaning your Dominator Garage Door
For Zincalume and coloured steel finish doors
As your Garage Door is exposed to the outdoors it's a great idea to clean it regularly to guard against corrosion and any other harmful atmospheric effects.
Using clean water and a cloth, we recommend cleaning the door every 14 days.
If you are in a salty or industrial area we advise more frequent cleaning.
Note: Do not wash the automatic garage door opener as this will void the warranty and could cause electrocution.
Regular Maintenance Required
Dominator recommends that you check the operation of your garage door at least every 3 to 6 months. (if useage is high or in extreme environments more regularly).
Note: If recommended maintenance and servicing is not carried out, your warranty may be void.
Garage Door Lubrication
Lubricating your garage door is highly recommended. We are able to do this for you as part of our service. Click here to find out more details about booking in a service.
Guide tracks - Rolling Doors:
Note: Do NOT use grease or oil on the guide tracks
- Cleaning Guide Tracks - Rolling Doors For Garages
- Clean the internal sections of the guide tracks with a cloth dampened with mineral turps or methylated spirits to remove any greasy residue that may have accumulated.
- Polish vigorously to achieve a smooth, dirt and moisture resistant surface. This allows the Nylofelt to glide easier.
Guide tracks - Sectional Doors
- Clean the internal sections of the guide tracks with a cloth dampened with mineral turps or methylated spirits
Steel Hinges (if fitted)
- Sparingly lubricate with an antistatic lubricant. We recommend CRC Multilube Gel.
- Lubricate wheel to axle bearings
Springs (where accessible):
- Sparingly lubricate with an all purpose machine oil.
Garage Door Locks:
Your lock does not require special maintenance. If the key becomes stiff, a spray lubricant such as RP7 is recommended,
Do not grease the lock
- Please refer to your openers instruction handbook
It is important that if you have an automatic opener fltted to your door that you ensure your garage door and its components are properly maintained, and address any operational issues that occur quickly. Failure to you may reduce the effective life of the opener and void your opener's warranty.
- Lubricate with CRC Multilube
Cedar Wood Door Maintenance
Oiling/Staining the Door
We recommend using Dryden's Wood Oil for Cedar Doors.
- Recommended that 3 x coats of stain/oil initially then 1 coat to be applied yearly to maintain the door. lf your door is north facing, it is recommended to do so every 6 months.
Garage Door Service & Repair
Lifting cables (if fitted)
These cables are under extreme tension and should never be adjusted, except by fully trained Dominator agents.
- Check for wear through by rubbing. lf there is fraying or signs of corrosion contact your local approved Dominator dealer.
- Periodically check all screws, nuts and bolts to ensure they are secure.
It is natural for springs to lose tension. Should the door become hard to operate or completely inoperative, contact Domwest to arrange for an inspection.
To keep your door running well, it is recommended that your door is serviced by an experienced technician every 12 months, or earlier if required.
Call Garage Doors Auckland on 09 8353781 to arrange a visit, or contact us via the email form.